PART 2 👇
- They texted me. Are you seriously still mad? I didn't respond. Jason sent another. Come on, man. It was funny. I blocked him. For the first time in my life, I stopped trying to make my family understand why something hurt me. I simply stopped participating. A few weeks later, my parents called about my grandmother. She had recently passed away, and there was an estate meeting. I almost didn't go. Then I remembered something my grandmother had told me years earlier. If anything ever happens to me, don't let your family pressure you into giving up what I leave you. At the meeting, the attorney opened the documents. My grandmother had left me her small house near the lake. She had left my parents some personal belongings and a modest amount of cash. The room went quiet. My mom looked at me. You can't keep that house. I can. Your grandmother wanted all of us to enjoy it. The attorney cleared his throat. The will is very specific. The property belongs solely to him. My dad leaned back. Jason stared at the floor. Then my mom whispered, After everything we've done for you? I almost laughed. I didn't. I simply signed the papers. Over the next year, I repaired the house and turned it into a place I could actually enjoy. I never invited my family. Then Jason needed money. He had gotten himself into debt and somehow remembered that I owned a lake house. He called from a different number after I blocked him. You've got money now, he said. You could help me. I can't. You're really going to hold that stupid road trip over my head forever? I paused. No. I'm holding you accountable for what you did. He hung up. A few months later, my parents showed up at the house without warning. I opened the door. My mom looked past me toward the living room.
No comments:
Post a Comment