PART 2 👇
I brought it up while we were doing dishes. I said something like, you know, now that we're financially stable, maybe we should start planning a wedding. I wasn't asking for anything crazy, just a simple ceremony so we could all have the same last name.
He stopped washing dishes and looked at me like I'd lost my mind. He goes, why would we mess with a good thing? Getting married now would just jinx us. Besides, it's just a piece of paper.
Just a piece of paper after 20 years and three kids? That's what he thinks marriage is. I tried explaining that I wanted to feel like a real family, that I was tired of being the only one with a different last name. Our kids have his last name, but I'm still stuck with mine because we never got married. He shrugged and said, if it bothers you that much, just change your name. You don't need to be married to do that.
That's when it hit me. He doesn't wanna marry me. After two decades together, he still doesn't wanna commit. And the worst part? I'm the one with assets now. I'm the breadwinner. If anyone should be worried about divorce, it's me, not him.
I've been thinking about this for weeks now. I'm 36 years old, and I've spent more than half my life with someone who sees marriage as a jinx instead of a Celebration. Part of me wants to pack up and Find someone who actually wants to marry me, who won't treat it like some kind of curse. Then I think about our kids and wonder if I'm being selfish for wanting something more after all these years.
I finally worked up the courage to tell him I might leave if he won't marry me. His response? Go ahead. You're not gonna find anyone better at your age anyway.
That's when I knew for sure I'm done waiting for someone who will never see me as worth marrying.
No comments:
Post a Comment